YOU CAN VOTE BEFORE ELECTION DAY IN PERSON OR BY MAIL USING A “mail-in” ballot
Things you need to know to get the ballot, use it, and make sure your vote is counted
You must apply to receive mail-in ballots. You can download the application by going to the Union County New Jersey Clerk’s website http://ucnj.org/county-clerk/elections/vote-by-mail/ OR you can get one in person at the Westfield Office of the Union County Clerk
YOU CAN APPLY IN PERSON AND VOTE THAT DAY at the WESTFIELD OFFICE of the Union County Clerk, Colleen Fraser Building, 300 North Avenue, Westfield, NJ.
If you want to vote by mail, then mail the completed, signed and dated application as soon as possible. Mail it to: Joanne Rajoppi, Union County Clerk, 2 Broad Street, Room 113, Elizabeth, NJ 07201-2299. Be sure to use a postage stamp.
Instructions that are applicable whether you choose to vote in person or by U.S. Mail:
- On the application, fill in sections one (1) through (9), except that you are not required to fill in your email address in section 7. You can learn more by going to the County's website, OR email firstname.lastname@example.org OR call 908-527-4996.
- In section 1, you need to check that you are requesting a ballot for the General Election and fill in the date of the election, November 7, 2017.
- In section 4, you must either check that the ballot should be sent to the address where you are registered or fill in the address where you’ll be able to receive the ballot (like a college dorm address). College students should be sure to determine the exact mailing address to be used for mail at school. You may not know that until you get there. You may want to have ballots mailed home if delivery at school is unreliable. Your family at home could then ship it to you in the manner most likely to reach you.
- If you fill in section 7, your e-mail address may become a matter of public record. You may not want that to happen. So you decide whether you want to provide that information. You are not required to give that.
IF YOU GO IN PERSON TO THE WESTFIELD COUNTY CLERK’s OFFICE, you hand in the application there
What happens after you mail the application to the Union County Clerk....The actual ballot is mailed to the place that you stated in section 4 (home or dorm).
If you do not receive the ballot at least 10 days before the election, contact the Clerk’s Office either by emailing or phoning the following: email@example.com 908-527-4996. Make sure the application was received, and, if yes, whether the ballot was mailed to you. If the Clerk didn't receive the application, you need to send in another one as soon as possible. When you have the ballot, you need to complete it and mail it at least a few days before November 7 so that the Board of Elections receives it by November 7.
WHETHER YOU GO IN PERSON OR USE THE MAIL, BE SURE to follow with care the instructions for voting, and mailing it.
There are two envelopes: the one you put the ballot in; and the outer envelope.
- Be sure to sign the envelope for the ballot and be sure to seal it. Then place it in the Outer Envelope.
- BE SURE TO PUT A POSTAGE STAMP and your name and return address ON THE OUTER ENVELOPE.
- On the outer envelope, BE SURE TO WRITE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS IN THE UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER
- Your vote is counted only if it is received by Election Day November 7.